return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Snakes VS The Media Machine And Hognose

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: geckoejon at Fri Aug 9 04:47:36 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by geckoejon ]  

i always inform anyone who is going to even hold any of my hogs that they are rear fanged. however unlikely it might be that they would bite, it is still wise to inform people of the facts. i certainly would inform someone if they were buying one. although, they are not considered poisonous and even a child can legally buy one. that is excluding local state regulations with bans and permits required

i got my first boa when i was 12 yrs old, which was decades ago. i have kept and bred on a small hobbyist scale many reptiles since. do i think reptiles in general are that dangerous... no. do they have the potential to be? yes, look at the facts :/ people can be seriously injured and killed by some of them. there are always going to be IDIOTS in this world that will mess it up for the responsible keepers. there are also some accidents and negligence. people that let their pet boids and monitors go in the wild once they reach a size that they feel is unmanageable, ect... i see and hear of it frequently here in florida :/

do i think they should have some regulations? yes, because of all the idiots that want to abuse the privilege to keep some reptiles. do i think there should be outright bans? no. i feel that responsible keepers should be able to keep and raise what they wish. there should be some way to track down the idiots that want to screw it up for the rest of us though. i think the media is getting all the hype stirred up. that is how they make their money. i think the government is trying to quench the people's fears, often caused by ignorance, by outright bans. i don't feel that is right either.

where is the middle ground? keeping people responsible for the animals they keep and also keeping the right to keep and breed reptiles? i am not sure...

personally, i don't see a need for hogs to ever be hit by any regulations. we will see though.

just my 2 cents... if any of that makes sense. lol

jonathan

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Snakes VS The Media Machine And Hognose - FR, Fri Aug 9 11:42:18 2013
>> Next Message:  RE: Snakes VS The Media Machine And Hognose - Austin12, Fri Aug 9 15:31:35 2013

<< Previous Message:  RE: Snakes VS The Media Machine And Hognose - Austin12, Thu Aug 8 22:22:39 2013