return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Eastern Collared Lizards?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Collared Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Eve at Sat Aug 10 09:54:32 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Eve ]  

HI, someone forwarded me this post :0) so I will try and see what we can figure out here. Your collareds are eastern and they look to be from the " Missouri/locale or vicinity", some look similar in the Kansas area but maybe more green and orangey on the males.

Anyway they do not appear to me to be juvenile from the photos, I'm not there but they look a bit older. The female does appear to be gravid, shes got the wide look through the mid section and you can see some of the orangey blush color.
Now this can mean she already layed, and will be laying again, or she is ovulsting and will breed, or has recently. Now since you got them from someone and they did not mention her laying, then I would assume she mated and will lay.
After mating it takes about 2- 3 weeks to lay. After laying 1 clutch they can lay another or even a third every 22 days or so....

If it were me I would just observe and keep a damp or several damp sand spots in her tank or under rocks/ hides for her.

I have many and mine all bred late this year I have only had one clutch hatch so far and many eggs incubating and it's almost fall, I think a cooler spring slowed them up, and now we have had a hot summer and they continue to mate.

As far as your Large enclosure, sounds awesome but I always tell people having all that space is wonderful but only if you can keep the temps up, otherwise they have a large enclosure but do not thrive as they are not warm enough. Temps should be 100 - 105 and 110 is acceptable at basking spot. The rest of tank/enclosrue should be in the upper 80's

Plenty of CLEAN water these guys get bacterial infections easy and once they are sick they go down quickly.

*** Make sure your girl gets plenty of extra calcium I dust the girls insects with calcium every feeding , making eggs and laying takes alot from them.

As far as how many in that enclosure, well one male per enclosure ... so with your male you can provide him with quite a nice harem maybe 4- 5 females ... up to you once you see your space.

Hey I do have a site(Below in signature) and have a care page on these guys(Collared Lizard care),,, I have to update some things but there are alot of things you may find you can use. I have worked with, and kept as pets, collareds 16 years ... I lost count. :0) if you need any help give me a holler

Best wishes with your new kids!
-----
Eve
Suncharmers Colorful Collareds & More

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Extreme Red Collareds - JustinMitcham, Mon Aug 19 08:22:46 2013
<< Previous topic:  Bursting with COLOR - na, Tue Jul 30 17:17:42 2013