return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Eastern Collared Lizards?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Collared Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Eve at Sat Aug 10 13:55:13 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Eve ]  

Hi, No, do not release them after a years time. Once a lizard is in captivity it is frowned upon letting them return to the wild as they could be carrying back some sort of bacteria or virus/ whatever, from captivity or other animals and then pass it to anything in the wild they come into contact with, so don't do it.

You don't have to have large lay boxes, just a place they can climb in , or under, that "seems hidden" to them that has some damp sand or your damp vermic in there. YES, you will see her dig and dig..... that's usually a sign they are going to lay soon. They push out all the damp material, lay the eggs then you will notice her taking all the damp material and putting it back over the eggs.

The collareds from this area are not as colorful as some, but the males usually get a very orangey dewlap(throat) I alwasy liked this locale's collareds :0) I find the females to be quite charming , cute looking. But heck I love them all, lol

You can mix whatever you want, they will all mate, lol ;0) but some like to keep locale with same locale. I do both, have some the same, and some I mix. People do purchase collareds, just make sure to keep them as healthy as can be. I find they are not as hardy as other lizards, but I do have a long time passion for them .

I personally think your better using your 40 gallon breeder as far as keeping temps right. I use alot of the zilla 40 gallon critter cages, I hate the tops though the way they pull out and you have to take them off, STINKS, and eventually they tear (the screening at the edges) I then buy hardware cloth wire and make a nice wire top, they get better light, better air flow with the more open wire.

Oh by the way I keep muy basking at about 100- 105 sometimes on real hot days the temp may go up and some people think 110 or even a few degrees hotter is fine, but for me,,, I keep it more towards 100 - 105

Thanks for the nice words about my site, it's hard keeping up with collared kids,,, gecko babys, babies ,,,, babies babies.... ehhehehee.

A Few Baby New Mexico Girls
-----
Eve
Suncharmers Colorful Collareds & More

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Extreme Red Collareds - JustinMitcham, Mon Aug 19 08:22:46 2013
<< Previous topic:  Bursting with COLOR - na, Tue Jul 30 17:17:42 2013