return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Western Hognose Bite 01-10-2013

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Rextiles at Sat Aug 10 22:25:34 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Rextiles ]  

How do we explain how other people,(most in fact),don't have a bad reaction like Troy's. I've been bit a few times as a feeding response. And held onto good. I had absolutely nothing. Not even a redness around the bite marks.

And that's a great question Mike! It even begs the question as to why only 2 out of 6 of my hognose bites resulted in a reaction, or why only 1 bite resulted in a bad reaction. Why?

Let's go with the allergy theory and come up with several hypothetical reasons why I might have had a reaction...

#1 I eventually developed an allergy to hognose saliva after several bites. (Regardless of whether hognose are actually venomous or not.)
#2 I eventually developed an allergy to hognose venom after several bites. (Assuming of course that hognose are venomous and I was envenomated.)
#3 If the first 4 bites were "dry" bites, then perhaps I'm allergic or more prone to showing reactions to hognose venom than others might be. (Assuming of course that hognose are venomous and I was envenomated.)

Let's say that even if any of the above are true, there are others out there other than myself that have had similiar reactions, some even worse than mine (Link to the famous Herpnet Hognose bite page). So I think it is very reasonable to believe that there are others who will also eventually suffer the same consequences of a hognose bite.

The bottom line is, isn't it up to us to inform those people of the possibilities of what they might be at risk for? Isn't it our responsibility to inform them and let them be the deciding factor in whether or not this is the right species for them to own based on the possible risks?

I have had worst reaction to Garter snake bites.

And yet another great example of a venomous, although considered harmless, colubrid that used to be considered non-venomous.

"Garter snakes were long thought to be nonvenomous, but recent discoveries have revealed they do, in fact, produce a mild neurotoxic venom. Garter snakes cannot kill humans with the small amounts of comparatively mild venom they produce, and they also lack an effective means of delivering it. They do have enlarged teeth in the back of their mouths, but their gums are significantly larger. The Duvernoy's glands of garters are posterior (to the rear) of the snake's eyes. The mild venom is spread into wounds through a chewing action." - Link

Thanks for posting Mike!
-----
Troy Rexroth
Rextiles

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Envenomation - CourtGaverth, Sat Aug 10 20:03:07 2013
<< Previous topic:  Snakes VS The Media Machine And Hognose - GoHogWild, Thu Aug 8 20:04:44 2013