return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Envenomation

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Lance86 at Sun Aug 11 00:15:37 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Lance86 ]  

My hogs have bitten me a few times at feeding time, Mostly the eastens, But the odd western too, My southens are way to small to ever land a bite on me so no idea with them, It has never happened handling them it has always been feeding related sooo to cut a long story short use tongs and don't get the smell of the mice on your hands otherwize you are risking a bite.

I have to say on a scale 1 to 10 pain & swelling maybe a 2 if even that, I had no swelling and i also did not wait around let it munch on me and then get my camera and say cheese lol.. I suggest no one does that, A hognose is not a Rattle snake! chill out, Its venon that many still as we know argue about in my personal experience so please no hate is very weak who knows maybe i should of got the hog to bite me longer and harder lol but it looks like other expert has already showed us the result, My sand boas bite hurts like a millon time more than any of my hognoses and they latch on and don't like letting, But like we saw in those few pics some have a reaction to the bite, So take care.

Be sure to handle your hognoses often depending on the mood of your snake, If you are a noob, Go to a show pick up a CB hognose take care of it and it will probly not bite you its as simple as that, Of my 80 westerns only 3 would i consider a threat to maybe getting a bite on me 1 has been able to so far and it was my fault no tongs soo on the most part i would say pretty peaceful snake..... My Eastens on the other hand out of the 30 i have some LTC most CB i would say 5 could land hits on me and 2 have, So chill out unless you intend to breed them and have 100's of hognoses you new or soon to be hognose owners don't worry they are awesome!

I hate the word Ban i see it so much with reptiles these days its all about education learning from one another and passing it on to others leave out the hate.., Hognoses are amazing, They should research them more that is a FACT..

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  indentifying? - geckoejon, Sun Aug 11 13:25:45 2013
<< Previous topic:  Western Hognose Bite 01-10-2013 - Rextiles, Fri Aug 9 22:44:09 2013