return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Venom, Fangs, and Herpetolgy(p2)...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Mon Aug 12 09:36:46 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Part 2,
In the field, we treat hognose as if they are not venomous, dangerous or even bite at all. As do everyone I know. I say in the field, but I actually mean in a practical sense, keepers, at shows, etc. WE don't handle them like we would a Coachwhip or a tree boa, that will bite the beans out of you and cause you to bleed out. Or even a dang gardersnake who will bite the beans out of you and crap and musk you into smelling like a French brothel.

The whole point is, all colubrids can produce a dangerous or deleterious bite. The question is, do hogs increase that chance. Another good question.

Also, of the hogs I have encountered(over 100), not a single one attempted to bite. Even an occasional Rosy boa will bite you.

I think Wills point is valid, while being technically and academically labeled venomous(recently), in a practical sense, street sense, field sense, they are indeed harmless or as Dr.GBF said, medically insignificant as are gophersnakes, kingsnakes and and various other reptiles Dr.GBF has labeled as having venomous or toxic saliva. Dr. GBF also considers them harmless.

The part that's bothersome to me is, treating people as stupid. I am learning that its a point of sensitivity. As the world is doing that. Take Harley Davidson. The owners manual and repair manual, include warnings on everything, even changing the plugs, It says, use only Harley parts and Harley repair mechanics. Or you can suffer serious injury and or DEATH. Injury and death, can be had without Harley or hognose. Hognose are far less likely to injure someone then your local dairy queen. and I don't mean a cow with an alternate lifestype.

The whole world is doing that. If you have to warn folks to not stick their hands in the mouths of something with large teeth. then telling them about "possible" deleterious spit is not of much value. Sorry for the ending rant. Have a great day

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Hey Frank... - Gregg_M_Madden, Mon Aug 12 17:13:00 2013

<< Previous Message:  RE: Venom, Fangs, and Herpetolgy... - FR, Mon Aug 12 08:45:15 2013