return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: from what Dan told me....Troy and Gregg

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Rextiles at Tue Aug 13 15:32:33 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Rextiles ]  

And that is the entire problem Will, from the sound of it, Dan only bred blood related "Sables" to each other. It doesn't sound like he did do much if anything about outcrossing the genes to actually determine whether they are actually Mendelian Traits at all, so all we can determine at this point is that they could be line traits, perhaps strong line traits. Hopefully down the line with enough outcrossing can we determine whether these are actually Recessive or not, however, that important bit of work has either yet to be done or proven.

Sometimes it can take 4-10 years of breeding and outcrossing to prove out some traits, part of that time of course is lost on just raising the generational offspring up. Dan might have been breeding these for a few years, but I've not heard much in the means of outcrossing. So I'm still a bit skeptical about the genes actually being proven, but I've put my trust in Dan that he understands what it is that he is working with and that the Sables are in fact what he claims. If not, then there's going to be some disappointed people out there.
-----
Troy Rexroth
Rextiles

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: from what Dan told me....Troy and Gregg - Lance86, Tue Aug 13 20:45:13 2013
>> Next Message:  RE: from what Dan told me....Troy and Gregg - wohlerswi, Wed Aug 14 09:55:59 2013

<< Previous Message:  from what Dan told me....Troy and Gregg - wohlerswi, Tue Aug 13 15:15:44 2013