return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Understanding tweaking.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Sun Aug 18 11:11:25 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Please attempt to understand this, all and anyone has the right to keep their animals in any method they choose and for whatever reason that makes you choose that method, real or otherwise. So do not get your undies wadded up.

Its again about the animals.

What does bother me is blaming the animal, as in, below, its stated, not all snakes should do well, insinuating that some inherently do not feed well. That is blaming the snake for your failure to support them in a way that covers HOGNOSE, not most hognose.

In nature, the conditions support all hognose to have the want to FEED and feed well. The problem is not a snake that will not feed, its about the ability or luck to find something to feed on.

Mother nature, has culled hognose for tens of thousands of years and selects the individuals that feed. Feeding is mandatory to survival. Feeding is hardwired. To a point if cannibalism. The want to feed is not a natural problem.

So you have complete control over the conditions that support hognose. And many of you take the position that its the animals fault because, my 7 other hogs do well.

The reality is, the problem feeder is the canary, its just the first one to talk back.

In this case, the OP "tweaked" the temps and it responded. I suggested doing that same Tweak to the rest and see how they respond. Then tweak some more.

I suggest offering a wider range of choices and let them pick what they want. Or you can tweak up or tweak down and tweak to your hearts content.

Back to the point of my post, Its not the snakes fault, its NEVER the snakes fault, THEY SIMPLY DID NOT CHOOSE TO BE IN YOUR CAGES. You put them there, so every thing bad is your fault and everything good, is indeed the snakes ability. After all, they are doing just fine, breeding like fiies and have been doing so for tens of thousands of years, WITHOUT US HOG KEEPERS.

NOne of us, not a single one, me included, support our animals in a range as large as they live in naturally. When you as a keeper take away too much, they fail one at a time(the canary) Which is good, that means, its a minor adjustment.

The point, even the experts of the experts, are always making adjustments. Sorry for the rant, its not condescending, its frustration. Have a great day, tomorrow off to the bush again where they are supported to feed, if only they can find food.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Ot hogs in nature - FR, Tue Aug 20 08:51:43 2013
<< Previous topic:  i found her tweak... - geckoejon, Sat Aug 17 04:22:08 2013