return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Baby Elongated Tortoise enclosure

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: amazoa at Wed Aug 21 14:45:47 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by amazoa ]  

Hi Carol,

This small document from the Tortoise Trust might help you some: -My thoughts follow-

. This tortoise typically avoids strong sunlight, and does not normally seem interested in basking facilities (although, given its wide distribution, regional preferences may exist). As in the wild, peak activity is often seen following heavy, warm, summer rain. Daytime environmental temperature should be maintained in the 26 - 30°C region during summer (78 - 86 °F). In winter, daytime temperatures can be reduced to 24 °C (75 °F) . At night, temperatures can be reduced to around 18 °C (65 °F). This tortoise regularly takes snails, slugs and worms in addition to green leafy material, fruit and vegetables. A bathing pool is essential, as Indotestudo elongata is known to drink copiously and likes to sit, half-submerged, for several hours at a time. In the wild, fallen fruits are believed to comprise a high proportion of its diet.

With that said I would probably reduce the length of the Florescent Fixture or use a Clamp on with a 2.0 - 5.0 UV Bulb mounted no closer then 14 inches from the substrate. I would suggest a little overhang that extends 8 inches or so and they can get out of the light if it is too much. Just a couple of bricks with a 1 X 6 on top of them would work. We use ceramic Tiles or plexi-glass to feed them on and a walk in water bowl like I had at the show. A heat mat on medium at night with no lights or you could opt for an appropriate size infra-red bulb so as not to disturb their rest. Good Luck Carol. Oh Yes I posted a picture of the parents to your two elongated babies below. This female often throws babies with reduced black on the carapace. Thanks so much...Richard

-----
Richard -amazoa-

"Changes in behavior occur when the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Sick leopard babies - saddleman, Mon Sep 2 16:35:03 2013
<< Previous topic:  Daytona!! Who's going?? - kens, Mon Aug 12 18:52:42 2013