return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Subspecies record length?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Field Notes & Observations ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: pictigaster at Thu Aug 22 09:48:58 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by pictigaster ]  

You’re right, 41 inches is a big Copperhead, and pictigaster are supposed to be the smallest subspecies! I just hadn't realized how big she was compared to the supposed record size for pictigaster. 41 inches is almost a 20% increase on the subspecies record I found of 32 7/8. Not often do you see a record surpassed by 20%. As chunky as Copperheads are built I'd imagine this snake would blow any weight record out of the water as well (doubt one exists though). I don't have any recent pictures that would show her size but I can certainly take some tonight. It sounds like there aren't many pure pictigaster out there but there can't be any doubt if I collected it myself in Brewster County is there? I'll take belly pictures and anything else suggested showing this is a pure pictigaster. I'll try to get her to lay flat against the glass like the last time I measured her and take a picture with the tape measurer visible. I don't like to handle my venomous snakes at all so please don't request that I stretch her out by hand and measure her (she wouldn’t stand for that anyways). I've never been bitten and I don't plan on it. Any other suggestions to show the size of a snake when photographing I'd be willing to try. History: This animal has been in my possession since it's capture 6/24/1998. It has never fed more than 12 times (live adult lab mice) a year and is brumated at least 5 months each year. I have brumated this animal for 6 months a year some years because she goes off feed early (refused the last 2 times I offered food so she may be done for the year already, last meal was in July). She has never been bred and always kept solitary. Not sure if any of these factors would contribute to her size but I can imagine there's a possibility.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Subspecies record length? - pictigaster, Tue Aug 27 15:39:47 2013

<< Previous Message:  RE: Subspecies record length? - RyanT, Thu Aug 22 06:45:27 2013