return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: (Not meaning to) Stir the pot...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Mon Aug 26 08:25:44 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

While I agree with you on hogs, your position of bites from such species as rattlesnakes are a little off.

My history with rattlesnakes is, 11 total bites(a fang puncturing the skin) a couple were sratches.

Of those 11 bites, 3 where hot bites(not dry) of those three, two did not required medical attention. Two resulted in localized swelling to above the wrist, the worse bite swelling to the shoulder.

My first bite received three vials of antivenom. the second and third, no treatment. None of the dry bites received any treatment and received no medical attention.

I have many many friends that have been bitten by rattlesnakes and my experience was similar to most. Serious bites from rattlesnakes, extensive tissue loss up to death are rare, but can and do occur.

Your right, normal hog bites, while some have some small reaction, are normally not serious and do not require medical attention.

Also, I do not agree with your report on Troys bite. It was not well reported, it just sounded that way. That's his stype. To sound convincing, but not necessarily accurate.

All venomous bites have blood work done, that is to determine what is going on, in the body. If its an allergic reaction, the blood would contain high levels of histamines. This was not done, so the report it based on assumption and not fact. In his case, we do not KNOW, it the reaction was based on a toxic substance or an allergic response. While the report was fine, the conclusion was based on assumption. Which pretty much makes the report invalid. I admire Troy for reporting the bite, and he did a good job at that. He had no proof what so ever as to what caused the swelling. His opinion was based on an assumption. Can localize swelling occur from hog bites, yes it can.

He may have been right or may have been wrong, who knows! Cheers

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Some cool baby hogs. - Gregg_M_Madden, Sat Aug 24 09:26:00 2013
<< Previous topic:  Question on Mating - tinamarie, Thu Aug 22 15:42:09 2013