return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE:Dang I hate this.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Fri Sep 6 10:44:01 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

There is no such thing as hibernation in snakes, or brumation. Snakes seek the activities the environment supports. In winter, they are active underground. Which means, they do stuff, they are not sleeping.

In places where the surface is too cold, they must find suitable temps. Most snakes, use low temps as a base, that is live at temps from the 40'sF to 65F, then seek higher temps for particular needs.

This last year, I have observed wild hogs, active every month of the year. I found a neonate that has just consumed a lizard, on 12-31-12. Where they occur, is the coldest area around. Its a high bowl that catches mountain run off(cold air drops) So its plenty cold and nights can reach the single digits.(nearby in Rodeo, they recorded 4 to 8F)

At their lower body temps, they conserve energy, but still burn some. They also conserve water. They do that by finding areas that do not dehydrate them.(50 to 60%) Which is important to understand in captivity. Its more about not dehydrating them, then hydrating them.

Reptiles tend to reproduce or start that process in the colder months because they can conserve energy. In the hotter months, they burn up to much energy. Colubrid snakes normally reproduce when their are cool nights, keep the mass temps down to conserve energy and warm days, to achieve the ability to increase metabolism as needed. That is normal. Reproduction is ceased when its hot and its time to feed(the foraging season.)

The term brumate and/or hibernate is are captive terms and that is fine, as long as its applied right.

And yes, they can use stored energy to grow a little. They can grow in length, but not in weight. Best wishes

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Curious to know...... - walter smith, Thu Sep 5 17:32:52 2013
<< Previous topic:  My favorite hog I produced this season. - Gregg_M_Madden, Tue Sep 3 15:40:28 2013