return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Corn Snake not eating?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Corn Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mrkent at Sun Sep 8 20:38:30 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mrkent ]  

Her setup sound pretty good, but you might up the temp on the warm end to closer to 85. One question: how do you measure the temp? I use digital thermometers with temp probes that I secure to the glass directly above the undertank heater with scotch tape, under the hide. That way you know what the temp is where the snake lays, not the air temp.

I also thaw in warm water. It wouldn't hurt to try a larger meal. You want it to be big enough to make a bulge, but not so large that the snake has a struggle swallowing it. It is amazing large a meal a corn snake can swallow in proportion to their size.

I knew a pet store owner who had a young burmese python, and a young corn snake in the same enclosure. (Not advised I know!) He put a medium sized pre-killed mouse in for the python, and when he went back later to check, the corn snake had eaten the mouse. Normally he would have fed it a large pinky or fuzzy. Anyway, it went on to digest that meal just fine. I suppose it was lucky the python wasn't hungry too!

Has she always shed ok? Hasn't she stopped eating when she was close to shedding? Some of my corn snakes stop eating, and others keep right on eating even when their eyes are so cloudy they can't see.

As I said before, I wouldn't be too worried yet, as they can go a long time without eating if in good condition.
-----
Kent

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Howie Sherman's amel okee - wisema2297, Sat Sep 7 14:42:05 2013
<< Previous topic:  2013 Holdback Alabama Corn - tspuckler, Sun Sep 1 16:14:18 2013