return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: Black Throat Monitors - Female Size.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Ckoutris at Sat Sep 21 00:51:24 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Ckoutris ]  

I completely agree with what Frank said!

If size is an issue then I would think about a different monitor, at least to me this seems like the most logical choice. There are a lot of great monitors to choose from that reach adult lengths of 3-4'. It's true that females are generally smaller than males but the difference is size is less or more dramatic depending on the species and of course there are always exceptions to this especially with species that already have less of a gap between males and females.

I your heart is set on a V. albigularis I would suggest a Cape Banded White Throat monitor. They are smaller than black throats and IMO a better looking monitor. They're actually one of my favorite varanids! The only problem is that they're much harder to come by but if you're not in a rush, I would hold out until one pops up for sale.

If your open to other options I would suggest something like an Argus, Goulds or Flavi. All have of which are great monitors the Goulds and Flavis are much harder to come by than argus. There are also Argus crossed with flavis and Goulds that are offered for sale which obviously are CBB which is great. Since it's going to be a pet and not a breeding endeavor one of the crosses if you find one would be a great option.

Some might blast me for this but I would stay away from Mangroves (V. indicus), blue tailed (V.doreanus), Peach throats (V.jobiensis) and Yellow or Quinces (V. melinus). These don't make the best pets regardless of how beautiful they are most likely you will be looking at an empty cage most of the time, as they'll run for cover even before you get near the room in which they are kept. Not to say they can't be worked with and trained not to fear you but it takes a lot more work with these than say an argus or a white throat.
-----
Charles Koutris

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Black Throat Monitors - Female Size. - FR, Thu Sep 12 10:01:26 2013