return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Hey Jon...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Gregg_M_Madden at Fri Sep 27 08:04:09 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Gregg_M_Madden ]  

I live in the North East. However, I have my snakes in a temperature controlled building. The temps can stay exactly the same all year round if I wanted to keep them that way. I keep my hog at normal temps and feeding as long as I can. Once the first few adults start to go off feed, that is when I start the rest of them. That can be anywhere between late Oct, and Nov.

The snakes will go off feed naturally to void their systems of any food in their systems before it starts to get cold. Many temperate species will do this.

How do they know when to do it? There are many theories out there. My belief is they get their cues from things other than temperature changes. I believe barometric pressure has a lot to do with it. I think barometric pressure influences a lot of their natural functions including breeding.

What you are seeing is quite normal in captivity. Is this behavior normal in the wild? I would imagine it is to a degree but we are not worried about what the wild ones are doing. We do not need to apply every wild aspect into our husbandry and this might mean going against their natural grain. We need to do what we can to support their captive behaviors. In some instances, what they do in the wild is indeed important to properly maintain their health in captivity but in other instances, what they do in the wild will not help us in their captive care.

Some keepers try to avoid brumation so they can keep their snakes up all year. In my opinion, it is much easier and much less stressful on me and the animals to allow them to do what seems to come naturally. A period of being dormant is natural and healthy. It also helps trigger and better predict ovulation and theoretically promotes higher quality sperm production.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Hey Jon... - FR, Fri Sep 27 09:15:49 2013
>> Next Message:  RE: Hey Jon... - pikiemikie, Fri Sep 27 10:28:39 2013
>> Next Message:  Gregg - geckoejon, Fri Sep 27 11:53:08 2013

<< Previous Message:  RE: early brumation and feeding??? - geckoejon, Fri Sep 27 05:27:09 2013