return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Hey Jon...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Fri Sep 27 09:15:49 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Again Thank you Gregg. Their are many factors that allow reptiles to exist in nature. Their ability to sense what is going to happen is amazing. Do I know exactly what triggers them to avoid poor conditions. heck no! But weather fronts do effect them. And like you said, we THINK its more about pressure changes.
Heck in the old days, that's what folks thought caused snakes to copulate.
Its also not about hibernation or brumation. Its about changing weather.
I have nothing against reptiles conserving energy. I do not like the words hibernation or brumation, and not because of what he reptiles do or don't do, its about how people see it. They think of a bear. Which is not what reptiles do.
During periods summer or winter where conditions do not support high metabolism, they seek medium conditions to conserve. But they do not sleep. When they are down in the ground, they move about and do what appears to be some socialization type behaviors. But its ok to call it brumation or hibernation. Still they can be active and not sleeping.
Simply put, last year, I reported the last hog in the field of the year, was on 12/31. and it had just consumed a lizard. I was on my way to a New Years party at the research station. The temps had already dropped into the low teens at night.
Its also not about feeding, In nature, the normal breeding adults go long long periods without feeding. Not just winter, but up until they are done reproducing. July or August.
The key difference is, in nature they can drop their body temps into the mid fifties to the mid sixties in all but one or two months. So as soon as energy is not available, they conserve, winter or summer. In captivity, folks keep the temps in the 80's, which does not allow them to conserve.
I also reported last year, the lowest temps where I found hogs out crawling on the surface was 54 and 58F, which is below what most here bromate at. So you see my problem. End part 1

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: part 2 - FR, Fri Sep 27 09:41:43 2013

<< Previous Message:  RE: Hey Jon... - Gregg_M_Madden, Fri Sep 27 08:04:09 2013