return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Blood Python . . . . . . . . . .  The Indian Eyed Turtle . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Some thoughts about behavior

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Fri Oct 18 11:50:49 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Thanks for the conversation. First off, nothing against your friend or you. But, hahahahahahahaha we have a huge habit of thinking we know something, which is why I get in fights here. Most think they know something. I on the otherhand, try to NOT know anything. I take data. Most herpers fall into bad habits of success. That is, here is how I find them, so that is how I look. Which is great, but it may not have much to do with the animals. It has something to do with the animals and a lot to do with the herper.
In this case, When I investigate something, I do not do what others tell me. I act like I know nothing and sometimes that is not easy to do. The key is, I investigated, year a round, and in all conditions. WHat I say here are REPORTS of what is observed. Or as with this subject, a behavior that was seen and what conditions supported it.
With behavior, its TRENDS, its not all or nothing. So its not about all do this or that, behavior does not work that way.

On this day, also recorded a 106F and a 103F. So while your friend is ok with his numbers, it does not include all they do. I even recorded a box turtle at 97F hahahahahahahaha that is really odd. The 106f was a neonate right in the middle of the road, so its body temps, had to be at or near that temp. I spend 18 years taking clocacal temps with quick read mercury thermometers. Then compared them to infra-red temp guns and the readings were so very close. The key is indeed body temps. As an adult can come out of the ground and have body temps much lower then ground temps. In the picture above, the ground temps were in the mid 130's. Also the opposite occurs, when the ground temps are cool, its common to record temps a few degrees above those ground temps. I hope this helps and please, I am sure your friend is a great field herper.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Some thoughts about behavior - FR, Fri Oct 18 13:51:02 2013

<< Previous Message:  RE: Some thoughts about behavior - reako45, Fri Oct 18 06:38:55 2013