return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Moist Hides

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Austin12 at Sat Oct 19 22:43:58 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Austin12 ]  

I've been using Micro Fiber Cloths for my moist hides. I've read on here many people use Sphagnum Moss and or Eco earth, I wanted to try something different. So far it's working out great, mine seem to like it just fine. I use a old deli meat container with a bunch of holes and a opening. Have noticed mine like to go into it after feeding and also during shed.

The cost of the cloths was 33 cents at the dollar store. I bought a bunch of them as you can see by the
photo. For what I would have paid in buying S. Grass, I now have a reusable source for a moist hides. They clean easily and dry fast. I change them out about every two to three weeks, or as needed, they have pooped in it a couple times...which is great, makes it much easier to deal with poop that way.

I was a bit hesitant at first, thinking there would be too much added humidity in the inclosure, but as it works out it's on the cool end of the cage.....so the humidity is limited.....all the holes in the container that holds the deli container makes good air flow....at least it's been the case these past 3 months.

BR "Big Red" has shed once and the shed was one piece. She didn't have a problem at all during the week she went blue. She stayed in there most of the time, would come out to roam around and heat up a bit and then back in.

Anyone one else using different methods for their moist hides? Other than S. Grass or Eco earth? Would like to compare notes if so.

No this isn't BR This is a plain ole Texas Wood Snake, very common around these parts.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Moist Hides - reako45, Mon Oct 21 03:31:48 2013
>> Next Message:  RE: Moist Hides - OrangeHeterodon, Tue Oct 22 07:50:54 2013