return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Funny story from an ER

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pine/Bull/Gopher Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rcreek at Sat Oct 26 01:29:31 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rcreek ]  

I work in an Emergency Department, and a concerned mother brought in a snake she thought was a baby rattlesnake. She said her boys had caught it and that it had bitten one of them several times. Rattlers are also endemic to the area and we have had a few bites this year, so I was expecting it to indeed be a rattler. I was initially surprised to see it was still alive in a small container (if you think it's a rattler wouldn't you have killed it rather than risk another bite?).

Anyway, when I looked closer I immediately id'd it as a hatchling Great Basin Gopher Snake, and informed her of the differences between a young rattlesnake vs a young gopher snake. It made a buzzing noise with its tail against the container and made its head look very triangular in a threat display. It took some convincing and explanation on my part to ensure her that it was a harmless, helpful snake that likes to put on a show, gets big, and eats a ton of rodents.

I was struck by the sharply contrasting, clean pattern on this particular snake, as well as a unique cross-like shape on the head. She said she wanted me to take it or she was going to get rid of it (probably kill it), so I obliged.

I considered releasing the snake, but I didn't know where to do so with the sudden cold snap. The snake was found around a home probably trying to get some warmth and hole up somewhere. I have not had snakes in years, but decided to get out the old terrarium, undertank heater, heat lamp, water bowl, etc.

I have had it about a week and it is still very ornery, but I am happy to say that it finally consumed a thawed pinkie mouse on my second attempt. This time I vigorously shook it in its face with the feeding tongs, with the lights down so that the snake would not pay attention to me and freak out.

I am happy to have a nice young specimen eating thawed pinkies already. I don't know how long I will keep it, but it could make a great pet or potential breeder some day. I even decided to go ahead and get another hatchling - an amelanistic reverse oketee corn snake some guy sold me for $20. He even delivered.

I will consider posting a pic soon.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  PIC Wild Gopher Hatchling - rcreek, Sun Oct 27 21:08:27 2013
<< Previous topic:  Pituophis Genetics - hemanstarwarrior, Tue Oct 22 22:49:47 2013