return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Soil for Western

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: OrangeHeterodon at Mon Dec 2 23:34:19 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by OrangeHeterodon ]  

Dear FR or anyone who mimics natural conditions for their Heterodon nascius

I seem to recall you, FR, saying before that you try to best match natural conditions for your hogs as they would have in the wild? I tried to look for the actual post to confirm it but I can't find it, granted there is a lot ha-ha. On the assumption that you did indeed say this, do you use natural substrate in replicating natural conditions or do you use aspen or something non-sand to be safe from all the bad reputation that sand has earned over the years? If you do use sand, is it store-bought (basically is there a brand that isn't going to cause respiration issues) or is it field-collected?

I field-collect substrate from a bald sand-hill for my Easterns and my male for the two and a half years he has been on it has never had any issues. My female is knew to it but she is exhibiting no problems yet either. Mind that they are both WC and my western hognose is CBB. Would it be safe to use the sand that I use for my easterns with my western? The sand is fine and passes through digestion of both my easterns with no issue when some sticks to their frogs and toads but it is still not too fine in that it will no create dust that name brand sand is infamous for in regards to respiratory infections with burrowing and ground-dwelling snakes.

He is currently on Aspen shavings. It's rather dry (while good from every care sheet I read) and if they get moist get mold easily if not caught quickly so I don't really like it. I am looking to try and set up a nice desert-scrub habitat look in its cage. I have had him on Aspen shavings for four years now, I'd just like to use sand/dirt if it would be safe.

Thanks for any advise

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Soil for Western - FR, Tue Dec 3 06:51:07 2013