return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Soil for Western

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Tue Dec 3 06:51:07 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

One of the groups of reptiles I worked on was varanids(still to some extent) With that group, I found they were very tied to soil type, in captivity and in nature. We should have already understood this as its in most old field guides, as I mentioned to you. I will skip a lot.

After testing different materials for a couple decades, I was apparent that in most cases, problems were not about soils, but were about people, again. There is a huge difference between most store bought materials and natural materials. In a nutshell, store bought sands are manufactured, sands are made by crushing rocks. Again in a nutshell, sand(silica) is glass or what glass is made from. So its simple to picture crushed sand is hard edged and abrasive. Natural sands are rounded and smooth. I use to build zoos and pumped many miles and miles of concrete, pumped concrete is often called shotcrete. When I worked in the west and concrete is made from natural sands, the concrete pumps had no problems and the values lasted for a very long time. Then I rebuilt Audubon park, in New Orleans and we had to use manufactured sand, That crap destroyed my machines. We had to replace the harden steel valves weekly.

So its fairly easy to see why some folks, caresheets, make claims that sand is bad. Crushed sand is bad, not natural sand.

natural sands, are not graded and sifted which means, they normally are a combination of sizes, one of which is called fines. When pumping concrete, fines are added to lubricate the sand particules and allow them to flow. In New Orleans, we had to add clay, which is super slick(carbon and fines) or my pumps simply plugged up.
So, graded, manufactured sands, indeed are hard to pass for reptiles and indeed can plug them up and kill them. End part 1

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  REart 2 - FR, Tue Dec 3 07:10:45 2013

<< Previous Message:  Soil for Western - OrangeHeterodon, Mon Dec 2 23:34:19 2013