return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: pt 4 tests you can do that are fun

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Tue Dec 10 07:51:37 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Hello, one thing to consider, I believe your reporting captivity. which means, we don't always get it right. We have talked about this. In the case of sand, I mentioned make sure you have sand, that the hognose, any type, understands how to use. That is the start. ALso, a fresh caught toad or lizard is much of a test, as its lost and has no idea of its surroundings.
Just some ideas for a more accurate test. I think once you understand testing, you would have so much fun and learn so much, much much more then I mention here. About both the snakes and the prey. This is called naturalistic observation. In this case, its to set up in captivity specific tests in a controlled condition, that's similar to their natural conditions(as best you can) to observe specific behaviors.

Part of behavior is surviving, that is, doing what presents itself under odd conditions. So to feed on the surface of any cage is normal. Just think about what a wild toad would do on the surface. On my study site, I have seen a few toads bolt out of holes and move in a very motivated way, and at a speed and distance that no hog is going to catch them. Are your finals over? how did you do? best wishes

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: pt 4 tests you can do that are fun - OrangeHeterodon, Thu Dec 12 08:34:28 2013

<< Previous Message:  RE: pt 4 tests you can do that are fun - OrangeHeterodon, Tue Dec 10 07:24:23 2013