return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Size of food vs willing to eat?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Fri Dec 20 09:24:32 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Normally across the board, keepers tend to no understand what neonates feed on. They do tend to feed on very large items, compared to adults.

And yes, in nature they can do silly things and fail. I have watched snakes attempt to swallow and fail with very large items. Once on my porch, I found a spotted night snake that swallowed a large gecko and died swallowing it.

Found a baby water snake with a hold on an adult leopard frogs leg. Had a three food water snake in captivity that attempted to eat my pet bull frog, the frog simply swatted the snake and that was it. A friend found a black racer doing the death roll, when he investigated, he found a short tailed snake had a hold of the racers head and was constricting it. Again in my yard, I scared a adult jack rabbit and it ran by a pallet of tile, an averaged sized gopher snake grabbed the rabbit and hung on. The rabbit was kicking and twisting and jumping. that snake was all twisted up. The snake let go and was fine. It looked like the snake would get itself snapped in half.

So yes, snakes can do silly things and sometimes they die or get injured doing them.

Back to captivity, the problem with neonates feeding on large prey items is easy to understand, In nature the snake can go to the temps and humidity it needs, in captivity, its either there or not, if not, neonates reguir large prey items. In most cases, keepers keep snakes in very average conditions, which means, they can only perform in an average way.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Size of food vs willing to eat? - FrankDunham, Thu Dec 19 13:57:50 2013