return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: baby blue rhino feeding questions???

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cyclura & Ctenosaura ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: evianjanvier at Sun Dec 22 19:16:29 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by evianjanvier ]  

Any baby iguana should eat greens a few days after hatching. If you have to force feed it than something else is wrong. If your are keeping it indoors spend $60 on a Trex light bulb,they are the best and it's money well spent. Depending on the size of your cage you may not be able to use a large Trex bulb. Me personally I wouldnt put a baby cyclura in anything smaller than a 3 ft vision cage because small cages limit the lighting you can use and even a baby rhino is a good size hatched out.. A small 20 gallon would probably get too hot with a Trex bulb so you are forced to use cheap 75 and 100 watt bulbs. You can get other small bulbs that offer UVB and no heat but nothing compares to a Trex in my opinion. I've brought back sick animals with them and have noticed huge changes in appetite and energy in healthy animals. Also get a laser temp gun immediately and make sure your basking temp is somewhere between 110-120 degrees. That's basking temp not the ambient temp of the cage. I can't imagine setting up a reptile without knowing it's basking temp. We all use to do without temp guns years ago but with technology these days there is no reason every reptile keeper shouldn't have one. Temp and lighting is most important, next to diet. What kind of setup do you have and what are you using for lighting and heat? What specific foods have you offered the lizard? How long have you had it? Rhino iguanas are very affordable lizards but you will spend much more than the cost of the lizard to set it up properly, and that's a baby not a 15-20 pound adult.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: baby blue rhino feeding questions??? - flyfan10, Sun Dec 22 20:10:47 2013

<< Previous Message:  baby blue rhino feeding questions??? - flyfan10, Sun Dec 22 18:03:18 2013