return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

IND Press: ‘Miss Snake Charmers’ rescue

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herpetological News ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Herp_News at Sun Dec 29 14:31:03 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Herp_News ]  

NEW INDIAN EXPRESS (Chennai, India) 26 December 13 ‘Miss Snake Charmers’ on a Rescue Mission (Jayanthi Pawar)
Madurai: When you meet 27-year-old Manimegalai and her friends Nagalakshmi and Selvakumari for the first time, they would come across as an ordinary band of young women in Madurai. There is nothing to suggest that the threesome love to court danger.
Naturally it comes as a surprise that the three are the unofficial ‘Miss Snake Charmers’ of the temple town. Whenever a snake slithers into a house or bushy surroundings in schools or hospitals, Manimegalai & Co receive a distress call and they land up individually or together within no time to rescue their “hissing friends”.
“Rescuing snakes is not my occupation, it is my passion,” says high school dropout Manimegalai, a native of Ramanathapuram, who has now founded the Tamil Nadu Snake Research Wild Animal Rescue Trust.
Her first encounter with a snake was not invited. “At age 12, I was bitten by a bamboo pit viper. My homeopath-father saved me. He also told me not to harm reptiles as they can’t speak for themselves,” she says.
That’s when she began loving other living beings. She joined a snake catching training programme, but had to quit as she was the only girl in the camp. “But I was destined to take up this job as shortly after that people in my neighbourhood sought my help to rescue a cobra. I then started rescuing snakes voluntarily and accepted money,” she says.
Link

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereIND Press: ‘Miss Snake Charmers’ rescue - Herp_News, Sun Dec 29 14:31:03 2013

>> Next topic:  NY Press: To Save a Scaly Predator - Herp_News, Sun Dec 29 14:32:40 2013
<< Previous topic:  ARM Press: 1 of smoked crocs is sold - Herp_News, Sat Dec 28 16:00:04 2013