return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Now read this,

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Wed Feb 12 10:32:53 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

The link worked, so heres the real deal. Click on this link.

Also, Pay attention to the last two paragraphs, Kennerlyi was not separated on two scales, it was only separated by one scale, azygous. And that is also questionable.

I have not looked at wild westerns, and that is important. I have looked at captive produced westerns. And they're is lots and lots of overlap. But as mentioned in the previous link, there may be lots in hybrids in the trade. So in the hobby and please understand, that is where we LIVE. We are in the hobby. So for us, they are the same.
After looking at hundreds of kennerlyi in nature. They indeed have some visual differences. And not by what the paper states. Kennerlyi are a bit vertically flattened, both head and body, and the Nasal scale is completely different, not in number, but in shape and structure. Which places the eye closer to the nose, then with westerns. That difference is so small, it should not indicate a species difference. Not by morphology.
Genetics, well that's a totally different race horse. Realistically snakes are separated into pockets within their range. Not just hogs, but all snakes. This results in isolated pockets of unique genetics. Which means, theres going to be a bunch of separate species, that are morphologically similar/identical. As you can see in places like here, humans are not good with a bunch of choices. They are A or Z. So at this time, species definition is heading to pure genetics, which is useless to the intended user(us). People without knowledge. Morphology is useful to the intended user. By what it looks like, no need for a lab. Genetics tells us, how something evolved to what it is, but not WHAT IT IS. Morphology tells us, what it is. I am dumb as a stone as most know, but both would be wonderful. Morphology and genetics. Then we would know, WHAT IT IS(the snake in our hand) and how it got there. I am such a dreamer. As it starting to become, we can pick up a snake in the field, and not have any way to tell what it is. That sir, is useless for scientific nomenclature. I guess I am going to need a mobile genetics lab when I am in the field.
Link

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Now read this, - reako45, Thu Feb 13 03:15:15 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: Intergrade ?'s - FR, Wed Feb 12 10:00:58 2014