return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

REt 2

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Fri Feb 14 10:25:31 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

People want to make it all complicated and add or subtract names like social etc. When in fact, its far from complicated. Its all about reliable. All they do is remember and repeat what works, and remember and avoid, what does not. We mention pair bonding, Which is only a name. Yes, they keep the same mate, for as long as its reliable. The female when successful, follows a pattern of success, food, shelters, over lots of different conditions. The male, in order to be a pair bonded mate, must do the same. So it becomes reliable.
The situation you described is also part of a population. The transients. They do not have reliable shelters, mates, or food sources, they spend lots of time looking for that reliability. They are the individuals that are easiest to discover, as they cross roads and travel on the surface commonly. This is where the problem of understanding is. Science and hobbyist, studies these part of the population, and only because its EASY and surface. While residents, have no reason to spend lots of time on the surface. Or in the open.

What I observe is not common, I have to look far and wide for places where conditions allow me to see these animals. Once I find these areas, If you do not breach their behaviors(interfere or touch) or allow them to observe you to often. They are more reliable that big ben(clock). Their longevity is amazing, well past mine I am sure.

The Strox are an active breeding colony with all manner of color types, patternless, hypos, melanistic, normal etc. This is something odd, as all these types are in one group and in many groups. Locally we have two types of atrox. Hill populations and flat landers. The hill animals are extremely variable and large. The flatlanders are consistent in color and pattern and small.

In the above pic there is mock copulation. Which has nothing to do with reproduction directly. Its simply individuals talking to eachother. Its the language of WE, the group

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Now read this, - FR, Fri Feb 14 09:47:02 2014