return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Pt 2.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Garter & Ribbon Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: OrangeHeterodon at Wed Mar 19 08:59:22 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by OrangeHeterodon ]  

Their land habitat must be kept dry. Despite being semi-aquatic the can develop moisture sores which can become lethally infected. I have always followed the advice of dry land to save myself the head ache. The snakes will go into the water when they are ready to be moistened again. I usually use cypress mulch kept dry with a handful of damp sphagnum moss in a corner. I mean damp, not moist, just enough so that it isn't dry and crispy. A good amount for 2-3 ribbon snakes the width of a pencil and about 1 1/2 feet long to hide in can be measured by:

Take several compacted 1-handfuls of dry sphagnum, drench and soak it in water. Take only compact one handful and squeeze it dry as much as possible, and then fluff it up and put it in an area where the snakes can hide. This acts as an effective "moist-hide" that many snakes that like higher humidity usually enjoy having.

A spot to climb under a heat lamp is good too because they really enjoy getting high up to get nice and warm. Its been about a year since I have kept an Ribbon Snakes so I don't remember the basking spot temp off the top of my head, I do know that I used a 75 watt heat bulb though.

As far as keeping up with water they do defecate in it which requires water change as soon as noticed, as they drink from the same water. Also, luckily you only have one, as only 2-3 fish should be kept in the water dish at a time, unless mosquito fish, another pro to this species, as they can withstand oxygen starved waters for longer periods of time compared to many other fish species used as ribbon snake food. If more than 2-3 standard feeder fish or guppies are used, they may die and foul the water. Just be sure to check water daily for feces and dead fish.

A heat pad on the warm corner of the cage works too, especially if you add a cutting of household carpet over it to avoid direct belly-glass contact which can be a little too hot for the snake.

Also a monthly substrate change is highly recommended.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Hey Ed- erythristic leucistic female - boxienuts, Sun Mar 16 12:48:22 2014
<< Previous topic:  Leucistic eastern - ejhoene, Sun Mar 2 15:46:07 2014