return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Bullfrog Lesions

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: OrangeHeterodon at Tue Mar 18 14:48:45 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by OrangeHeterodon ]  

If the issue is a pathogen that the WC Leopard Frog brought to the bull frogs, most spreading infections are going to be viral or bacterial. If it is viral there is not much that can be done except to hope the bullfrogs have a healthy and functional immune system.

If it is bacterial then you can fix it but it will be a pain. If the bacteria was treated for but then came back it is probably because it is now living in the enclosure. If this is the case, a complete cleaning and sterilization of the enclosure and all the parts MIGHT be required depending on the bacterium species. This can be costly, time consuming, or both. After words care must be taken to avoid chemical contamination from whatever was used to sterilize the enclosure.

The last possibility that immediately comes to my mind is that the Carolina Biological Supply Lab's population might have an internal contaminant but I highly doubt that. Always worth a check though, heck you might be the ones that brings it to their attention before there is a wide-spread issue. Again though, they are rather on top of what they are doing over there.

My belief, and most likely result, is something be it a deadly anuran virus or a bacteria, or even a parasite, came in with the Leopard Frog. I catch amphibians to breed, release, and raise the tadpoles all the time for my 2 Heterodon platirhinos. Occasionally I will get a Bronze/Green Frog or Toad with some unknown contaminant that if left alone, 2 times out of 3, spreads to the other amphibians in the enclosure.

Also, the password to see the pictures appears to not work. Unless the quotation marks are part of what I type in, just bullfrog does not work.

Good luck with them and hopefully the issue with the frogs can be resolved.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Bullfrog Lesions - gnorthup87, Sun Mar 16 14:58:26 2014