return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

4 days out of brumation and I have eggs!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: wohlerswi at Thu Mar 20 09:57:43 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wohlerswi ]  

Hey Guys
Wondering if any of you have ever dealt with this before. One of my female hogs laid 3 infertile eggs 4 days after coming out of brumation. I brumated her in a climate controlled room, and the room never went above 55 degrees. It averaged around 47 degrees the entire winter. So I know she didnt develop the eggs during her cool down. She is a virgin, never been with a male, and is now around 300 grams. She went into a shed cycle the week before I put them down to cool, and didnt slough her skin until Feb 11th. My entire collection went down on November 25th, and I pulled them Feb 20th. She dropped the clutch on Feb 24th. The eggs were normal size, and looked good, they were just infertile. She started acting a little lethargic during the last week of brumation, and I got a little worried about her. Well low and behold the reason was because she had 3 eggs in her. She is doing excellent now. Ive never had this happen with any colubrids, with several thousand clutches in my years of experience so I was extremely baffled. I am just getting around to posting because Ive been so extremely busy but this happened close to a month ago now. Anyone else ever seen or heard of something like this? Ive got pics of the eggs and the female laying etc that Ill get around to posting soon as I have a moment. thanks guys hope everyone's season is off to a good start.
Will

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  hognose heating help - diego32, Thu Mar 20 18:14:00 2014
<< Previous topic:  Breeding weight - TerryHeuring, Sun Mar 16 09:35:56 2014