return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Eggs After Brumation

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: DanKrull at Sat Mar 22 19:27:58 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DanKrull ]  

Hello-

I didn't take the time to read all of Frank's comments, and I have no intention of trying to respond to him at length. I will address your original question.

Hogs, like many snakes, will ovulate when they have contact with a male. There are probably many physiological and environmental cues which bring this about, but the most basic one is physical contact with another snake, and the smell of another snake.

If you handled a male snake, and then handled your girl, or at any time housed her, even briefly, with another snake, male or female, you may have triggered one of these cues which caused her to ovulate. It is rare, but it does happen. When two hogs meet they "greet" eachother by jerking and rubbing against each other. This action alone may stimulate ovulation.

The fact that she laid the clutch 4 days after brumation is just a coincidence. She went into her prelay shed, and then you dropped her temps to levels that caused her to become physiologically inactive. When you warmed her up, she passed the eggs. If you had waited 10 days to brumate (hindsight being 20/20) she would have laid the infertile eggs before you could cool her.

I've had this happen twice. Once, I placed a 250 gram, virgin female in a display cage with four other girls at a reptile show, and about two months later she laid 18 slugs.

If anything, I think your experience shows how Frank, in his first comment, was wrong. It is precisely because the snake was so cool and inactive that it held the eggs over winter.

Your observations of snakes active in cool temps are corroborated by several others, but keep in mind a cage at 55 degrees in your house is not equal to 55 degree ambient temps outside. At 55 degrees the sun can still warm a basking snake, and the soil it's crawling on to normal operating temps.

Anyway, it's an interesting example of how stuff sometimes doesn't go the way you want it to.

Dan
Solid Hogs Available Hognose

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Eggs After Brumation - FR, Sun Mar 23 07:58:13 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: part 3, the result is - FR, Fri Mar 21 09:58:42 2014