return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Eggs After Brumation

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Sun Mar 23 07:58:13 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Thank you Dan, Making this about right or wrong is the problem with you guys. Its about discussion and possibly learning some husbandry skills.
Of course I could be wrong, but what would eliminate any question would be if you guys actually learned how to palpate females and then there would be no doubt when and how a female cycles.
Even your report is full of assumptions. Like contact with other animals. That would cause wild hogs to lay eggs over 9 most of the year. Also because I tend to keep snakes in groups, they would be reproducing all the time.
Your example of taking a female to a show, I have to wonder if a temperature change from brumation to car rides and show temps could cause a female to cycle. That seems far more likely to me. But that does not matter. You or I will not know why his female was gravid in winter. The reason is, we do not have the snake in hand to "know" the details. So pretty much everything we talk about with other folks problem animals, is merely discussion.
You seem to want to make me the bad guy, which is odd. If I have an understanding gained from decades of experience, that does not make me a bad guy or even right. That it makes you feel threatened is your own ego problems.
About this skill. When we were in the beginning of colubrid discovery, WE had to develop skills to be successful. So let me tell you a story. A friend Ernie Wagner, would always carry a silk handkerchief. And whenever we visited another persons collection, he would hold the animals and palpate them. I also always do that. Doing that is a matter of communication. That is, it tells us what condition the animal is in. It tells us if the animal is healthy, in breeding condition, cycling, has a bolus etc.
Also saying I am wrong without reading what I said, really is telling. Also thinking any comments on here are solid fact without real knowledge of the animal is a weak assumption. All we can offer here is ideas. Best wishes

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Eggs After Brumation - DanKrull, Sun Mar 23 15:32:42 2014

<< Previous Message:  Eggs After Brumation - DanKrull, Sat Mar 22 19:27:58 2014