return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: 4 days out of brumation and I have eggs!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Mon Mar 24 10:39:11 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

If you goggle up brumate, it leads to a definition for dormancy with explains, hibernation, brumation and aestivation.

The problem is, the concepts they are based on is fluid and not accurate. For instance, if you take snakes, In most cases, non reproductive individuals, simply do down in winter and brumate. I have no problem with that.
What we have learned over the years is that reproductive individuals do NOT, do that, and calling what they do brumation simply, is not what they do. Reproductive individuals tend to gather in groups(dens) from very large to pairs, migrate to particular places that support reproductive biology, which differs from non reproductive brumation. When reproductive individuals gather in the fall. Its not to "sleep" together. While sleeping does occur, they do not gather in their groups to sleep. They gather in these particular groups as part of their reproductive process.
In my work with wild hogs, they indeed gather in the fall. The males are either near their mates, or track down their mates in the fall, and stay with them until the breeding season is over. With the hogs in my area. They do not leave until after the eggs are laid. They stay together, in the ground, until after the eggs are dropped. Then they feed like crazy, yet, they still forage the same areas as their mates.
The point here is, in nature, brumation for reproductive individuals seems important in both a social and biological aspect. These animals choose different areas then non reproductive individuals. The point is, with these types of snakes, the winter period is not a period of slowed metabolism only. Its a period of time that's important to their reproductive biology. Therefore cannot be called hibernation or brumation accurately. But can be called brumation is a inaccurate, misleading and generalistic way. Thanks and have a great day.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: 4 days out of brumation and I have e - DanKrull, Wed Mar 26 10:24:00 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: 4 days out of brumation and I have eggs! - VanPerry, Sun Mar 23 16:13:18 2014