return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Help! First time snake owner that bought

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: dddugger6 at Wed Mar 26 09:23:56 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by dddugger6 ]  

Hello,

I am living in China and just recently bought a snake in an open-air market in Kunming. This is my first snake and I know very little about what I'm doing or what my snake needs so any help would be really appreciated!

So here's what I know:
-The owner of the snake said that it was a king rat snake or a stink snake, but honestly he didn't seem very sureā€¦ I attached some pictures on this link http://www.reptileforums.net/forums/showthread.php?94312-Help!-First-time-snake-owner-that-bought-a-snake-in-a-Chinese-market..

-The snake was in very bad conditions at the market and it looks like it has a small scar on it's head (I'm not sure if it's male or female) and what looks like some loose skin around his eye.
-The owner told me to feed it these small fish that he gave me, I think he said they were mudfish every other day..but again not very sure
-he said that it was breed in captivity but again the owner didn't seem the most knowledgeable

Does anyone know how much water to give this snake? what temperature it needs to survive? what kind of food it eats? how long will it not eat before I know there's another problem?

Right now it's in the little box I got from the market but tomorrow hopefully I can get a plastic container or another cage of sorts that's bigger and put paper towels on the bottom, with a cardboard hiding place, and a little pool (from the original cage)

I don't have a heater yet and it might be a bit before I can find one.. I just move his cage under the heatlamps in the bathroom during the day for a bit and I hope that helps, but I really have no idea..

I'm not going to handle it again until after a few days in it's soon new habitat and until ideally it has its first meal with time to digest.. b'c that's whats the internet says.,, is that true? for the future are there any tips for handling him?

or any other advice you can think of?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Link

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereHelp! First time snake owner that bought - dddugger6, Wed Mar 26 09:23:56 2014 *HOT TOPIC*

>> Next topic:  Question about pine bedding - csharp, Sat May 3 20:35:13 2014
<< Previous topic:  reascued snakes - crizot, Sun Mar 16 17:19:43 2014