return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: not wanting to be in water

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red-eared & Other Sliders ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: OrangeHeterodon at Wed Apr 2 21:26:28 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by OrangeHeterodon ]  

If the female is growing very fast, is she larger than the male? RES can be real tank bullies sometimes.

How often is water changed, maybe something has happened to quality of the water that just does not bother the female? Sliders are pretty darn hardy though so I doubt this would be the case, though it could be, so still worth a check.

Is anything else kept in the water with the turtles such as fish?

Another thing is maybe it is just a phase. I have seen captive and wild sliders and cooters that were healthy do some out-of-nature things such as sitting out-of-water on a cold and cloudy day with no sunlight during the day prior.

As far as a shed, from the sliders I have kept, RESs and YBSs the turtles still spend a fair amount of time in the water.

My biggest bet though, if the female is larger than the male, is tank bully. If she is outgrowing him he could be intimidated by her and trying to stay away. I would watch for this carefully and if it proves to be an issue either divide the tank or provide a 2nd one for one of them. With the turtles that are kept where I work we frequently have to put one in our outdoor pond because it got large fast and took over, or put one in a different tank because it is not growing fast enough and is being out-competed by all the other turtles.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• not wanting to be in water - jimmy666, Sun Mar 30 20:49:11 2014
    • You Are HereRE: not wanting to be in water - OrangeHeterodon, Wed Apr 2 21:26:28 2014

>> Next topic:  treat worms - jimmy666, Mon Oct 6 11:41:53 2014
<< Previous topic:  Fluttering behaviour - Katyax, Sat Feb 15 10:09:56 2014