return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: For Dan and others about being active in

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: willstill at Thu Apr 3 10:16:03 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by willstill ]  

Great post Frank,

We (myself included) often forget that the labels we give to describe these states of being (brumation, estivation, etc.) are only for our use and understanding. The snakes don't know them or use them. We should understand that our application of them should only be used to loosely describe a state or condition. In short, just because we say it's so, doesn't make it so.

I was surprised to hear some of the responses to that post. Some were very rigid and defensive of that condition we call brumation. I was equally surprised that the situation was explained away with the notion that it occurred because of a male's presence or the scent of a male. Females don't spontaneously ovulate because of a male in their vicinity. If that were the case, my girls would popping ovulations all year long too, as most are kept in pairs/groups all year. They ovulate once the follicles reach a state of maturity which will support fertilization and shelling. Many females ovulate without ever being with/near a male, producing infertile eggs.

To be continued....

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: For Dan and others about being active in - willstill, Thu Apr 3 10:25:34 2014

<< Previous Message:  For Dan and others about being active in - FR, Wed Apr 2 12:52:11 2014