return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: For Dan and others about being active in

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: willstill at Thu Apr 3 10:25:34 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by willstill ]  

...Anyway, in an incident that goes with the theme of your post, I have a friend in the southern tier of NYS that purchased an old farmhouse with a crumbling foundation, built into a hillside. One winter I came to visit. He showed me his boiler room and told me to look at the walls closely. Upon inspection, the cracks in the walls revealed dozens of eastern milk snakes. Most of the snakes were moving around, albeit slowly. The temps along the wall were in the low forties (as per temp gun) and it appeared from the writhing masses that many of the snakes were courting or copulating. They were doing so in temps that most of us would be hesitant to utilize for brumation for fear that they would be too low. Yet these snakes were active and the females were clearly growing follicles and producing breeding pheromones. At the time I said "But their brumating?!?", however clearly they weren't. It took me a while to figure out that it was my perception of the situation, not the situation itself that was screwed up.

We need to understand that the rules and terms that are developed in this hobby are to help in our understanding of these animals. The fact that they cannot always explain a situation shows us that they should not be taken as gospel, but merely loose guidelines that should be considered fluid and evolving, not written in stone.

Thanks Man,

Geat post.

Will

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  It's Sexy Time. - DanKrull, Thu Apr 3 13:32:29 2014
<< Previous topic:  Must be 18 years or older to view this! - DanKrull, Tue Apr 1 16:11:52 2014