return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: And a few of my observations.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Gregg_M_Madden at Sun Apr 13 10:41:02 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Gregg_M_Madden ]  

From what I have seen, most reptile keepers keep their reptiles like complete garbage. The Ironic thing is that it is actually easier to completely fix problems we see in captivity than it is to try and temporarily fix them.

As far as keepers and breeders keeping their snakes without problems goes, that is complete BS. I know many breeders of different species and they ALL have failures. Snakes just dropping dead for no reason, females becoming egg bound, females not being able to produce past a certain age and size, and the list can go on. However, on the forums we only see people successes and the failures are kept quiet and are crammed in the closet with the rest of the skeletons. Failures that generally do not happen in nature with fit animals.

MOST hognose breeders will tell you that big females over a certain age will not be good producers. Seriously, ask any breeder how old their oldest producing hog is. This is completely opposite to what happens in nature. How does that logic make any sense at all?

You can not believe the amount of females lost from egg binding every year in the collections of small and large breeders alike. A couple of breeders I know personally have lost 10 females between the two of them just this season due to egg binding.

Dehydration is most likely the biggest killer we face as keepers and breeders and information like what was quoted in this thread from the herp society is bad information. What living reptile lives and thrives in complete dryness? Dry conditions without some type humid escape does not sustain reptilian life. Even reptiles from the most arid regions of the world find cool, humid areas in their habitat to escape the elements frequently on a daily basis.

As mentioned, we make an ATTEMPT to replicate what they have in nature but in most cases, it is a very poor feeble attempt because of the lack of understanding of reptile physiology and behavior.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: And a few of my observations. - Gregg_M_Madden, Sun Apr 13 10:50:37 2014
>> Next Message:  RE: And a few of my observations. - DISCERN, Sun Apr 13 13:23:54 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: A few observations of my own. - DISCERN, Sat Apr 12 22:59:18 2014