return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Help, egg bound?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Bluerosy at Sat Apr 19 12:15:38 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Bluerosy ]  

Have you ever bred them again before they passed the retained eggs?

Yes I have.. One female in particular I rmember had like sold rock hard eggs in her for 3 years and passed them finally and then got gravid and had good clutches.

I used to panic and sometimes try to palpitate the eggs out of female.. But then som had the oviduct wrapped around the eggs and went to a vet and they use a spray to move the prolapsed oviduct aside.

All this is very stressful on the snakes and I just decided to leave them alone.. Most pass the eggs within a month.. I have one female now that layed two eggs and she retained the rest.. I will just leave her alone.

Now I know that the eggs cannot be saved.. so it would be unneccesery to try to palpitate them out. The process of palpitating is probably very painful to the snake and it takes a long time and patience to do (lots of constant pressure must be applied for a lomng time to get the eggs to move even an inch closer to the vent and it seess to hurt the snake).. I would not recommend a newbie ever try this because what will happen in most cases, the eggs are not expelled and the snake has gone through hell from someone trying to remove them unsuccessfully. What you have left then is a weakened animal that that is inflammed and might have passed the eggs on her own if she was not messed with.

Bottom line is don't try to palpitate the eggs out unless you are 100 perceent committed to getting that first egg out.. even then, If there is a layer of membrane blocking the eggs, then you have to give up anyway.

Nature sometimes runs its course and they are able to get them out on their own.

This is my experience at least. A good "snake vet" with experience is better but hard to find. Most vets will want to cut the snake open to remove the eggs. I would not trust a vet like this . God with one that is familiar with using the spray method or just leave the poor snake alone and be patient -which is my advice!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  kingsnake bonding - stephen83, Thu Apr 17 20:16:45 2014
<< Previous topic:  Creating a Nest Box/Bin For Egg Laying - scaledverts, Wed Apr 16 15:10:18 2014