return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
pool banner - $50 year

RE: p2 pair bonding

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: snakekate at Wed Apr 23 07:47:39 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by snakekate ]  

When I think bond, I think mammals. Its hard for me to apply that word to reptiles, because they do not bond like we do. NOT saying they don't bond, I see how they thrive in each others company, and how they form habits and routines together and what not. So why I would like to give it a try with my kings. Its just going to take me some time to get used to the whole bond thing, and if I see it with my kings, I know I will be comfortable with it.
And give me a break, you guys just dumped ALOT of info on me, I am still trying to read it all and go back and read the ones i missed.(missed a few lol) I lost my job recently, so I am focusing on my snakes. I haven't been on the king snake forums in a long time.

And I should have went into more detail about how I brumate. Got a daughter that keeps me pretty distracted haha. I wait until they give me the indication that they want to brumate. For example, they are usually out and about exploring, especially when they are hungry. They go through a phase of crazy appetite, and then they start to hide after that, and rarely come out. This is when I lower the temps. But I have noticed, like you said, they do come out sometimes while they brumate, and on those days I usually give them a heat source, and remove it when they are done. But I like the way that you do it, with a range. I think I will try that. That being said, some years they they stay active, so I keep the options of heat and just make things a little cooler. Most years this is what happens. I act on their cues. Sometimes it trial and error, I don't speak snake, but I am learning
And with their brains, I do not trust science either. I was heart broken as a child when people kept telling me that they are stupid and emotionless. And when I got my first snake, a king, I realized this was not the case. But I also realized they are VERY different from us, or mammals in there thinking, so why people think they are stupid. They are not, most just dont understand them.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE:Let me explain where I am coming from - snakekate, Wed Apr 23 08:29:22 2014
>> Next Message:  RE: p2 pair bonding - Doublehet, Wed Apr 23 10:03:25 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: p2 pair bonding - FR, Tue Apr 22 20:24:42 2014