return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: The Naturalistic Observation part

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Fri Apr 25 12:42:16 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Hi Kyle, The part about larger and smaller is about the same as a suitcase. The larger they are, the more you can put it them.
Which means the smaller then are, the less you can put in them.
how that works here is, The smaller you make it, the more accurate you need to be. As in no room for error. The larger it is, there is more range of conditions the animal can pick from. Therefore, we are not forced to know or be right. Let the animal be right.
So with my larger boxes, I can be dry on top and become more humid as it gets deeper. Which is absolutely natural.
This brings this up. They have a range of conditions that each INDIVIDUAL prefers. We know the some of that like, it must be dark and secure. It must have a certain level of humidity and within a certain range of temps. And they do have a range they "understand" how to work with. The problem with small boxes is, Do YOu understand those conditions and that range. This is the area that chaps my hide. Newbies want to start off as if they are not newbies. I will say, getula can be problematic, even with deep choices. Other things like putting two pieces of glass to they can build a nest between them can work for those indiviuals, or black plastic, It appears so getula do not prefer to place eggs on dirt. So even after you practice deep nesting, there is room to improve results.
Take Shanes report on his king laying eggs, it appeared to have deep substrate of the right type but his female did not build a chamber. So while it was good, it can be way better. How is easy, offer more choices. Please understand, I have nested thousands of females of many species, and I do not KNOW, exactly what each individual picks.
It should be like this, start with large nesting with lots of options, then as you gain experience, you can narrow it down if you WANT, but it never is better by narrowing down choices. All that does is put more responsibility on you. So if the nesting fails, do not blame the method.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: The Naturalistic Observation part - FR, Fri Apr 25 12:57:33 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: The Naturalistic Observation part - scaledverts, Fri Apr 25 10:33:20 2014