return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Anyone seen this before?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Tue Apr 29 09:28:26 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

The point is, you do take sheds out for your reason/s, which have nothing to do with the snakes. When I say folks take everything the snakes know away, it also means sheds.
They recognize their own sheds, and other individuals sheds and other species sheds, Its part of their language.
I hate analogies, and mainly because they can be taken in so any ways, but I will offer one. Its like if something kept taking all your stuff out of your house and throwing it away. Your house is comfortable to you because it smells and has the feel of you and your family and your stuff. Of course stinky boys do mess it up some. But even stinky boys make your house yours. When one of those stinky boys moves out, You miss that smell and it hurts.
WE have all manner of artificial ways to communicate, animals don't. We rationalize, animals don't so much. Buy taking away, what is theirs, you are taking away their method of making a home.
I also never wash their stuff. And I move their stuff from cage to cage as they grow. Even little boxes they have outgrown.
So please understand, as you look at other people and wonder why they take so much away from animals and then think these animals do not do anything. You/we are doing the same to a lesser degree.
I say, study ethology. The reason is simple, it explains so much of this. One behavior is, when an animal attempts a behavior and cannot do it, it will stop trying. Forgive me, I forgot the name for that behavior. When more is taken away, more behaviors are surpressed, etc, until you have an animal that exists without life. This is what most people see in their cages. Snakes with all behavior surpressed. Sad huh?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Anyone seen this before? - snakekate, Tue Apr 29 06:33:53 2014