return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: p2, where I do get weird

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Fri May 9 09:41:12 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Yes, I get weird, when I make an attempt to figure out why folks do not want to help, add to, benefit, their captives. This dives deep in to "Psychology today" The number of reasons, the range of reasons etc of why keepers will not do something so easy. As a zoo builder and designer, early zoo's were prison cell, in design. Prison, is an punishment by control. Its punitive, to punish, by taking all control away from a person. Its based on fear. In the case of zoo's the fear of something wild and dangerous. As WILD animals were, less wild, lets say limited in nature. Zoo's moved into a direction of adding some freedom to cages. Freedom is allowing the animals some control. Then to naturalistic enviornments, which allows the animals some more freedom and control. All in all, Its what people do.
If you look at reptile caging, the rack system extreme, is exactly what a prison cell does, it takes all control of the snake away and puts it in the wardens hands(keeper). If you look at it "third party" you would ask, what did the animals do to be punished like that. Every thing that's normal is taken away from them. Think about it, everything. Nothing that's in their normal life is in there. A prison cell to punish.
Please folks, the animals did no wrong, there is no reason to punish them. What people enjoy about this type setup is, the results of their control. The "it worked". My mean arse reply to that is, so what, we figured out how to torture snakes successfully about 45 years ago. How about moving on from there. You see, that was my surprise. In forty five years, private keeping has gotten worse, not better.
Or is it FEAR, folks seem to have this, "fear of failure" so they are afraid to, "give to" the animals. To change from full control may cause failure.
part 2

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: p3, why do we keep them? - FR, Fri May 9 09:56:04 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: HELP! Female not eating, weird poop. - FR, Fri May 9 09:09:05 2014