return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: hognose substrate, from the book

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Thu May 22 09:05:54 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

First Mike Dee, I have known him for over 50 years, What a great man. Tell him hi and I hope to see him soon. Oh, ask him about kidney stones. He makes a terrible subject into something really funny. We have a history from Honels hut(sp) the beginning of the southwest herp so. To L.A. Zoo, to herp meetings all over. Ask him if we ever argued, hahahahahahahaha not once in all that time, why you ask, its easy, we didn't have time, to much laughing and stuff. Hes my man when it comes to herp literature.

About the hogs. Spinys(magisters) are not a main prey source and marginal to that habitat. The most common lizards are eastern fence lizards, S.undulatus, earless, whiptails of five types and a fair amount of leopard lizards. Toads, there are great plains(at least that is what I call them) green toads and spadefoots. Both green toads and spadefoots are commonly fed upon. with spadefoots topping the list. Lizards and lizard eggs are the most common prey item. With neonate hogs actively observed seeking them out. Large adult hogs are resident and rarely move on the surface. They do surface for short periods, and for the most part, not far enough to cross roads, some do of course. Transients are mostly animals without a set routine and wander over greater distances to find their needs and hopefully find a place to become resident. As you may know, small adult males are common and at times easy to find. Also as you may know, there are times when neonates dominate the area. My question is similar to yours, why on earth do neonates crawl across such large areas like wide roads and such where there is no shelter and such. It amazes me. I do have a thought for you. It seems that areas that are heavily collected, have far more wandering animals, then non collected areas. I first observed that in SoCal at such places as Whitewater canyon and Snow creek, as well as many other locales. These places seem to over produce until they reach a breaking point.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: hognose substrate, from the book - reako45, Sun May 25 21:41:12 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: hognose substrate, from the book - reako45, Thu May 22 07:41:15 2014