return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Correcting some misinformation....1

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: willstill at Fri Jun 13 14:29:56 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by willstill ]  

"I remember Rich Fife describing to me how he worked with one of the universities to determine how significant UV bulbs and calcium supplements were for turtles' shells.
It was amazing the disparity between the way the average herp guy would talk about it with an absolute assuredness that he was right and the way the scientists approached it by comparing groups of 100 hatchlings to see which theories really held out.
Till we do that, it's all speculation.(important speculation"

Unfortunately, your "scientific" example doesn't hold water. Over twenty years of successful turtle propagation has proven without question that uv is absolutely unnecessary. Turtle shell growth is entirely dependent on usable basking heat and the consumption of whole foods. I have had this discussion and compared growth rates with many keepers who espoused uv only to see their ultimate frustration over wasted money on those over-priced bulbs. The modest improvement in shell growth is not from the benefits of the uv, but the close proximity of the bulb (because uv dissipates quickly with distance from the bulb, they are place close to the turtle, which allows greater heat access). When fed whole foods (earthworms, pink mice, crickets), turtles are able to draw all of the nutrients they need if given the option to bask at temperatures exceeding 100F. This is part of the problem, these scientific studies which are held as gospel by some people, are not reflective of the actual issues keepers face, and the theories they "prove" give inaccurate information to keepers. I would compare growth rates of any turtle species with anyone who wants to challenge the value of whole foods and usable heat. I will feed the items mentioned and use my good 'ole 45w R20 floods. These studies encourage keepers to buy expensive, unnecessary equipment when they should just put the money into a sack of frozen pinkies or a box of night crawlers.

Will

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Correcting some misinformation....1 - caracal, Fri Jun 13 16:08:03 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: Correcting some misinformation....1 - caracal, Thu Jun 12 20:16:22 2014