return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Rookie of the Year 2 years running

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mikefedzen at Sat Jun 14 17:47:01 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mikefedzen ]  

This is a 2009 adult female mexican milk snake, got her from Mitchell Mulks in 2011 I'm pretty sure. She always had a good appetite but never grew much, just a very friendly little snake that is somehow an adult female. I have females hatched in 2012 that are the same size as her and bigger. In 2012 I tried to pair her up with a het albino mexican milk, saw them locked up but she never laid. Then at the end of 2012 I forgot to put her in brumation (I put my snakes in my attic where the temp for them is 45-50 degrees for a few months), and didn't realize this until Spring, she was curled up in her water bowl perfectly fine, who knows how long she went without water.

In 2013 I put my albino male mexican milk in with her and always saw her fight him off, but I kept him with her for a week or two anyway. She never plumped up, never looked gravid, never went off-feed, one day I pull her drawer out and she is wrapped around a clutch of eggs, out in the open. They were pretty shriveled up and only have this crappy camera phone pic of it.

2 of the eggs bounced back and ended up hatching, nearly 100 days later! Both female.

This year after my male albino bred to a spotted I just put this normal female in his cage, and let them live together for the season. They coexist pretty well, usually cuddled together under the hidebox, when feeding time comes I put 7-8 f/t pinky rats in there and both come out and eat then go back to hiding. Left them together for a month or so and then put the albino male in with a different female, the normal female continued to feed on her pinky rats every week. Yesterday I noticed her shed skin wrapped around the hidebox, lifted it up to check her out and she has eggs next to her! This snake is a champ, excellent genes in her, can't wait to see what her babies end up producing, both of those are such solid mexican milks as well.
-----
www.albinomilksnake.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Rookie of the Year 2 years running - reako45, Sat Jun 14 18:29:16 2014