return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Another View....Part 2

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: caracal at Sat Jun 14 23:48:32 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by caracal ]  

Like I've said, FR and Will are entitled to their views, but I will no longer respond. I will just express mine.
Greg I did not mention you, because I believe even if you disagree with some or all of what I say, you still will find it interesting (and I might need your help with my idea

In part one, I said I believe there are many factors that can cause or, maybe it would be better to phrase that as, result in egg binding.
Now I would like to say why I think the appropriate "nest box" helps.
I have include pics of how I set up mine this year and a feel good pic of what we like to see

I will preface my hypothesis by admitting it is just that - a theory that I have come to by observation.
It is absolutely fascinating to watch the female maneuver and manipulate the eggs towards the exit with lateral, undulating movements.
I believe the key word is MECHANICS, or put another way, LEVERAGE.
Maybe a suitable analogy would be the difference between arm wrestling while holding the table with the other hand and arm wrestling without.
I do not believe the depth is so much the point (most of my girls laid close to the surface).
I think what they are looking for is the lateral support of the sides of their body while they utilize their muscles to maneuver the eggs and ultimately expel them.
I didn't just include the first picture because it's feely good; I wanted to illustrate what I see.
The female is gaining a lot of leverage as she pushed the eggs along, because she has compressed the substrate all around her.
I believe that this would mean the nature of the substrate is probably important too in this regard.
Another point that contributes to this view:
I and many breeders have found that many females, when presented with a nest box inside their enclosure, prefer to get behind the nest box and lay eggs between the nest box and the wall of their tub.
This might well be because it would help give them this mechanical advantage.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Another View....Part 3 - caracal, Sun Jun 15 00:34:24 2014 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: Another View....Part 2 - Jonrice, Sun Jun 15 00:57:03 2014
>> Next Message:  RE: Another View....Part 2 - Jonrice, Sun Jun 15 01:07:32 2014

<< Previous Message:  Another View....Part 1 - caracal, Sat Jun 14 23:02:07 2014 image in post