return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Another View....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: caracal at Wed Jun 18 20:11:08 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by caracal ]  

I, personally, think the term "egg bound" is over used and might be a misnomer in some events.
I've had "egg bound" females, myself, and have always treated it, because I have followed the gospel truth repeated over and over that they will die otherwise.
I have always been to nervous to just leave her to her own devices.
I have never aspirated through the snake wall and haven't loss a female yet.

I have been thinking about this a lot in the last few days.

One breeder told me that he had an "egg bound" female expel the last normal full-sized egg, 6 days after the others.

I just got off the phone with another very well respected breeder who we all know and who avoids this forum because of the politics.
He told me he used to aspirate but now does nothing at all.
He leaves the female alone and she nearly always expels it by herself.
He told me it seems most probable that this occurs in nature all the time and that's what happens without disturbance.
I am inclined to agree.
I think the term "egg bound" in many of these events is incorrect, because I don't see the females struggling in any way to expel the last egg (an egg that is no larger than the 15 she's already expelled).
I believe the egg gets left behind for another reason and that most of the time we should just leave it alone.
From now on that is what I will do !!
If I see that works against me I will reassess.
Like I said, I address this post, as humbly as possible, to those who are interested in another view.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Another View.... - FR, Wed Jun 18 20:25:43 2014

<< Previous Message:  Another View.... - caracal, Wed Jun 18 19:52:47 2014 image in post