return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: The first husbandry WAR pt 2

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Tue Jul 1 10:36:34 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

by the late seventies, two schools of husbandry surface. Hibernation and the opposing "lite cycle" The Hibernation method, was centered in Tucson and with many of the "difficult" species, like greeri, thayeri, mex mex, blairs and alterna. (at the time)
By the mid seventies, I was producing hundreds of Mexicana. Including striped blairs, totally speckled alterna etc.
Then the WAR. I moved to Seattle to work at Woodland park zoo. The Curator of reptiles was the head and spear leader of photoperiod husbandry, None other Then ERNIE POO WAGNER. As luck would have it, the company I was working for, rented me a house about two small blocks from ERNIE. So the day I moved up there in a U-Haul truck. I pulled up to the enemy camp. The hate was, wait, there was no hate or hating or fighting, He came out to meet me and took all my snakes and would not give them back. Saying something like, I will give them back once you get settled. And he did. Once I was settled in, I investigate this thing called photo period. Well, he kept his snakes in a basement(perfect place for snakes) And if it was at night, you had to use a flashlite to see the snakes. hahahahahahahahaha Ernie explained how he manipulated the lite cycle to allow breeding and did not utililze hibernation. All the time I was wondering, Ernie what was the temperature in that basement? Oh 55F year around. ERNIE, that IS hibernation. Actually no fighting, the only disagreement was, we kept trying to "borrow"(steal) eachothers snakes. While we again disagreed on terminology, it came down to, call it whatever you want, as long as it works, and Ernies method worked. Some ways better, some ways not so good. pt2

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: The first husbandry WAR pt 3 - FR, Tue Jul 1 10:59:54 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: why do we brumate southern snakes? - FR, Tue Jul 1 09:48:20 2014