return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: why do we brumate southern snakes?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: markg at Wed Jul 2 13:24:33 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by markg ]  

Aaron,
In a field near me where Cal kings live (Palos Verdes, so Cal), I measured temperatures about a foot down into burrows. Big assumption that snakes are about that deep, but in any case, the temps stayed right around 55 deg F most of Winter.

Burrows on west and south facing hillsides were warmer in the 60-65 range.

In my opinion, it is not the cooling that is questionable. What I wonder most is that in the wild, snakes can and do seek cool temps much of the time, like in the 60s. But not bone dry cool temps. Cold with too low of humidity is no good. As FR said, cool is their base, and they seek heat to perform functions. They seem to either be cooled below 70, then heat up above 80. They do not seem to look for 72-78 unless passing thru to get to higher or lower temps. I am talking about temperate zone snakes here.

What would be ideal is to have a room that sits at 55-65 deg, then have a heated area in each cage. Then let the snakes pick what they want to do. Sounds like what Ernie did in FR's story.

Most of us keep the snakes at 75-82 deg range. Snakes will breed just fine and live fine. The lack of cool temps probably means they will not live as long. The longest lived colubrids I know of were allowed to experience cool temps in the room even if heat tapes were left on. Same with rosies. They also needed fewer feedings to maintain. Don't know if others have had different experiences.

I have some Antaresia pythons. They hug the heat always. Much easier lol.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: why do we brumate southern snakes? - FR, Wed Jul 2 19:22:10 2014

<< Previous Message:  why do we brumate southern snakes? - AaronBayer, Mon Jun 30 10:36:00 2014